Today I tried something really new and really awesome, and it worked and I wanna do it again! So here are the details. Please PLEASE share this openly!
**Welcome to CRITJAM!**
WHAT WE ARE: Critjam is an open-ended Skype-based chat where a group of us gets together to post our art for concrit (constructive criticism) as well as advice and general tip and infosharing to better ourselves artistically. We host Critjam every fortnight (two weeks - we’ll make posts when the jam is active) and encourage people of all skill levels to join in!
WHAT WE ARE NOT: We do not encourage making fun of people or putting them down. The entire point of this group chat is to honestly critique your artwork to help you better your skills and to hopefully help you grow as an artist. We do not tolerate mocking people, rude language, (although we do use adult language) or insulting. The point of Concrit is to be Constructive!
Kino (Kinomatika) ==> add skype name KINOMATIKAS to participate in the critjam!
Micky (moonstruckneophyte) ==> [add skype name michaela.walls to pm during the critjam]
General Information and Rules:
- Concrit from artists of any and all skill levels will be thoughtfully considered. Your opinion matters just as much as anyone else’s.
- We don’t tolerate self-bashing. Don’t expect to come to the critjam with an attitude of ‘my art sucks I hate it so much’ etc. We will not stroke your ego. We will be kind, but fair and honest.
[- Avoid qualifying your work as ‘lazy’, ‘just a thing I shat out yesterday’, etc. when presenting it - it’ll sound like you’re making excuses, and might be discouraging for less experienced artists.]
- You must be able to accept and understand concrit. You do not necessarily have to agree with it, but you can do your disagreeing privately.
- We expect all participants to follow the rules and be patient.
- If someone has said something that offended you, bring it up privately with a mod or with the person in question. The critjam chat is not the place for it.
- There WILL be nsfw in the critjam. It is a thing you should be prepared for.
- If you want to post something that you think may be potentially triggering for someone, PLEASE SAY SO before you post it. This includes things like bodyhorror, phobia related subject matters, etc. If something is questionable, ask a mod before posting.
HOW THE CRITJAM WORKS:
- With 20+ people in the Jam, you would expect things to get a little hectic, but it is not so! We have a set of rules in place to make your concrit experience pleasant and stress free.
- When you see a mod typing (Kino or Micky) please do not type or post at the same time!
- We have a first come first serve policy. The order in which we concrit is based on the following method:
- Mod will say “Type 1”
- Each participant will try to get the ‘first post’ by typing the number 1 and hitting enter.
- Whoever enters the command first gets priority. Mods deliver concrit first and then all other participants are welcome to join in in an orderly fashion. One person at a time. Remember to end with ‘done’ or a similar statement to signify that you’ve finished your concrit.
- Once that person’s concrit is finished, we begin again with the “Type 1’ command.
Guidelines for linking your art:
Guidelines for giving crit:
-Try to avoid repeating what others have said before you.
-It’s fine to disagree with what others have said before you, but please don’t use inflammatory language while doing so, or you WILL be shut down. Don’t start a chain of arguments in the crits, either - once an opinion has been stated, it doesn’t need to be repeated.
-To speed things along, you can type your crit in a separate window somewhere while the mods give theirs - this way, when it’s your turn to add to the discussion, you’re a ctrl+c/v from giving your complete crit.
- After 45 minutes of concrit, we will have a 15 minute recess where the chat becomes open forum, and participants are welcome to share contact information, post their artwork freely, (warning labels still apply) commiserate with one another, etc.
- Another 30 minute concrit session begins after the recess and then the critjam concludes for the night. Anyone who did not get a chance to post their work for concrit will have the chance to next week, and will have priority over last week’s posters.
- Each participant can seek concrit or “be in the spotlight” once per session.
- If you have questions about how the critjam is run, feel free to ask a mod privately.
So that’s it! We hope you will join us for the next critjam, it was tons of fun! The next one should be on SATURDAY, 6 JULY AT 6PM PST!